Taking Your Boat / Jet Ski to Rocky Point

If you are thinking about taking your watercraft (boat, jet ski, etc.) to Rocky Point you may be wondering “How do I do it? What do I need to cross the border? Where do I launch? Do I need a permit? Is it safe? What if I want to dock / store my boat in Puerto Penasco?”

Crossing the border

In order to clear Mexican customs at the border, you will need to show title and registration for your watercraft.

Every boat over 14.7 feet needs to have a temporary import permit (TIP). Inflatable boats that can collapse and fit into a bag, jet skis, kayaks, canoes, wave runners, etc. do not need a TIP permit.

Most people crossing in Sonoyta, Mexico report never having been asked to show the TIP permit but legally you’re supposed to have it.

Fishing Licenses

If you carry fishing gear onboard, each and every person on board must have a valid fishing license.

While in the U.S., fishing licenses may be obtained in person or by mail from Mexican Department of Fisheries, 2550 Fifth Ave. Suite 15, San Diego, CA 92103. Tel. (619) 233-4324

You may also obtain a fishing permit in Rocky Point or from the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix

If you are not bringing a boat and are just fishing from the shore you do not need a fishing permit.

Tide Chart – Weather – Solunar

rocky point tide chart


All vessels in Mexican waters are required to show proof of valid Liability Insurance.

Launching Your Watercraft

You can launch your watercraft from Safe Marina right before you get to the Old Port or right next to JJ’s in Cholla Bay. There used to be a ramp in El Mirador beach but it got destroyed with the heavy rains.

When you go toward the Malecon and see the fishing charters on the right, there is a boat ramp there that anyone can use.

At Safe Marina you can park your vehicle for about $5.00. From there you can either launch your boat yourself or pay them to launch you with their tractor down the ramp. They charge about $20 per launch.

You can also take your boat to Cholla Bay behind JJ’s. The beach is very flat there, if you have a small boat you may be able to launch it by yourself but if it is a large boat they will launch it for you. It’s about $20 in and $20 out. Just be careful because the tide goes way out in Cholla, if you don’t time it right you won’t be able to bring your boat back!

Temporary Import Permit

A TIP may be obtained from the following sources:

  • Online prior to your departure for Mexico. Apply between 6 and 7 days before you departure at Banjercito.
  • At any Banjercito office at a Mexican port of entry. Please note there is NO Banjercito office at the Sonoyta port of entry.
  • You may also acquire the TIP at the following Mexican Consulates:
    CALIFORNIA: Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Bernardino
    ARIZONA: Phoenix
    TEXAS: Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin
    COLORADO: Denver
    ILLINOIS: Chicago
    NEW MEXICO: Albuquerque

The content on this page is provided for informational purposes only. Requirements can change, please verify all information before traveling.