There are 2 routes you can take to get to Puerto Penasco from Southern California. The first route has you driving on Mexican roads for about half your trip but it’s a shorter route. The second option only has you driving in Mexico for about 60 miles but it can add about 100 miles to your trip depending on where you’re coming from.
From Southern California – San Diego, CA / Yuma, AZ via El Golfo de Santa Clara
Distance 327 miles / 516 kilometers
Note: The following route shows directions crossing the border in Yuma, AZ which has you driving in Mexico for about half of your trip via El Golfo de Santa Clara.
From Southern California take highway 8 to Yuma, Az
Take highway 95 from Yuma to San Luis, AZ
Cross the border in San Luis, Az/San Luis Rio Colorado Mexico
In Mexico take highway SON 3 to El Golfo de Santa Clara all the way to Puerto Peñasco
Second Option crossing the border in Lukeville, AZ
Distance 421 miles / 677 kilometers
1. Take I-8 East from Southern California or Yuma, Arizona
2. Take SR 85 exit to Gila Bend
3. Continue through Gila Bend until you reach McDonalds. Turn right at the sign just before the McDonalds for Mexico/SR 85 South.
4. Take SR 85 South to Ajo (39 miles)
5. Continue on SR 85 South to Why, AZ (10 miles)
6. Continue on SR 85 South to Lukeville, AZ (27 miles)
7. Lukeville is the border between USA and Mexico. Once you cross the boder, you will be in Sonoyta, Mexico. At this time, distances change from miles to kilometers.
8. Continue on the main road for approximately 1.8miles. You will arrive at a 2-way intersection with a stop sign. At this time, you will see a monument and signs for PTO Penasco and Santa Ana to
the left. Make a left at the stop sign and the bear right, follow the
signs to PTO Penasco.
9. Stay to the right towards Puerto Penasco/Caborca at the Y on the road. There is a traffic light soon after you bear right. Continue straight through this traffic light to Mexico Highway 8.
10. Once you have gone through Sonoyta, continue on Highway 8 from Sonoyta to Puerto Penasco (60 miles). Continue on Highway 8 until you see the sign for your appropriate resort. For all Sandy Beach Resorts (Sonoran Sea, Princesa, Las Palomas, Las Palmas, Bella Sirena, Sonoran Spa, Sonoran Sun, Esmeralda, Casa Blance) you will turn at the first light when you reach town. This light will have signs for Sandy Beach Resorts and it is named Blvd. Samuel Ocana.
11. If you turn to go to Sandy Beach Resorts, continue on Samuel Ocana past the railroad tracks. You will reach a round-about with a Circle K. Continue on the road and head towards the resorts on the horizon through the arches at Costa Diamante.