UPDATE: September 1, in phase 7, the following non-essential activities will be reactivated:
1.- Extension of the hours of activities until Midnight to include the following businesses:
* Restaurants (including sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages);
* Fixed and semi-fixed food sales stalls;
* Self-service stores and / or commercial chains;
* Super Markets, Markets and Groceries, and
* All types of establishments that are considered essential activities.
Note: All protocols and safety and hygiene measures, previously established against the contagion and spread of the COVID-19 Virus, remain in force, such as: mandatory use of mask, healthy distancing, use of antibacterial gel, use of gloves, installation of acrylic shields , installation of sanitizing mat, among others.
2.- Removal of the “Sanitary Checkpoint” as of September 8, therefore, the cancellation of the random application of rapid tests for the detection of the virus at entry (health filters to remain in place at principal beach entries).
3.- Reopening of gaming rooms and casinos. Casinos will operate at 40% of its maximum capacity;
4.- As of October 1 of this year reopening of event rooms and authorization for the holding of family and social events. Operating at 40% of maximum capacity.
5.- Unanimous approval of the preventive and security measure against the contagion and spread of the COVID-19 Virus, referring to the sanitation of Tourist Developments, Condominiums, Hotels, Motels, Restaurants and all types of Tourist Service Providers; Likewise, they will be provided with Professional Training for the proper use of sanitizing chemicals, for their subsequent performance, in a particular way.
JULY 17 UPDATE: Gradual beach reopening starting August 1st.
The official target date for the beaches reopening in Rocky Point Mexico is August 1st. Please note the information is still subject to change.
Beach reopening guidelines:
- 12 feet social distancing between groups of people
- Everyone must wear a mask when entering the beach or in contact with beach vendors and other people
- Mask not required when resting on the beach, walking, running or swimming in the ocean
- There will be controlled beach access points
- Limited number of people allowed on the beach and strict social distancing will be enforced
- Beach hours for general recreational use from 8 am to 7 pm
- Beach access for exercising from 6 am to 8 am and from 5 pm to 7 pm
- Ten people maximum per group and a maximum of 5 people per beach tent/canopy/umbrella
- People will be required to register for beach access at the designated beach access spots (certified beach resorts will control their own access)
- Pets are allowed on leashes
Other Important Updates:
- Tourists with confirmed reservations at certified facilities can continue to come to Peñasco from 6am to 10 pm
- The use of face masks is mandatory as soon as you enter Mexico
- Curfew from 10 pm to 6 am
- One passenger in every 5th vehicle entering Puerto Penasco will be tested for Covid-19 with a cost of $20 to $25. Returning residents and locals will be tested at no cost.
- Part time property owners only, one person in every vehicle will be be given a Covid-19 test with a cost of $20 to $25. Allowed entry between 8 am to 4 pm ONLY.
- Family and friends will be allowed entry starting August 1st.
- Full time residents are allowed entry between 6 am and 10 pm.
JUNE 16 UPDATE:
Puerto Penasco aka Rocky Point Mexico is finally welcoming tourists again as of June 16 with restrictions. If you plan on visiting this beautiful beach destination in the next few weeks, please review the following before you go.
Not following these requirements will deny you entry to the city!
- Printed reservation confirmation letter and official ID are required. Confirmation letter must be from a certified rental.
The rental company must have all the names of your group prior to your arrival.
If traveling in 2 separate vehicles you must notify your rental company so they can pass along this information to the check point.
- Everyone in your vehicle must wear a mask.
- Everyone must go through the thermal cameras, sanitizing tunnel, sanitizing of vehicle occupants, your vehicle and your belongings as well as other established measures.
Additional Information for Phase III:
House rentals will be operating at 100% capacity, hotels and motels at 40% capacity and condos/villas at 70% capacity.
Certified RV parks are open.
Only certified rentals are open. For a list of certified accommodations and businesses please visit this link
No visitors are allowed in your hotel or rental house during phase III.
SWIMMING POOLS AND BEACHES
The resorts swimming pools are open as well as the beaches in front of the resorts but you will NOT be allowed to go swimming in the ocean.
No swimming in the ocean is prohibited throughout Rocky Point Mexico, even if staying in a house.
SHOPS & RESTAURANTS
Malecon Restaurants are OPEN as well as through out town with previous certification.
Grocery stores will only allow 1 person per family to enter.
Restaurants will only allow 40% of the max capacity, and they are all following the safety protocols.
Night clubs/bars are closed except for restaurant/bars.
ATV’S and UTV’s. Only one person allowed for ATV’s and 2 people for side-by-side’s
Sport fishing at 70% capacity.
Sunset Cruises at 50% capacity.
ACTIVITIES NOT ALLOWED
Jet Skis, Kayaks, sailboats, banana boats, etc.
Curfew is in place from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM
Due to curfew hotel check in must be no later than 9 pm
Masks are MANDATORY in all public places, this includes the pool and beach.
The U.S. Mexico border at Lukeville, Az is open.
OTHER VISITORS / HOME OWNERS
At this time entry will be denied to people staying at friend’s homes or visiting family.
Puerto Penasco homeowners are allowed to visit as long as you make a reservation through your fully certified HOA or property management company.
JUNE 24TH PROPOSAL / PLANS
Malecon public areas from 8 AM to 9 PM
Shops in the Malecon area (no merchandise allowed on sidewalks)
JULY PHASE IV PROPOSALS / PLANS
Full-Time Residents able to RETURN to Rocky Point. Must show proof of residency, ID, utility bill, etc.
Part-time Residents/Visitors/Family can enter Rocky Point
It is uncertain at this time when swimming in the ocean will be allowed. There’s a possibility for July 15 but this is not confirmed as of yet.
This is the information we have as of the writing of this article but things can and are changing as more insight is gained. Please double check the current guidelines before you travel and stay safe :)